About Me

My photo
My name is Quine and I'm a senior at Cal State Northridge majoring in Liberal Studies. The reason for this blog is for my class which is a Liberal Studies Capstone course. On these blogs we will be analyzing "The Politics of Violence" because there are so many forms of violence and by blogging it can help with different viewpoints of what violence is.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Guide for Female Interrogators

The book A Guide for Female Interrogators by Coco Fusco, presented many different tactics for females to use while interrogating. Surprisingly, the tactics were nonviolent but more sexual. The women used their bodies in a sexual provocative way to make the people that were being interrogated feel guilty.
While reading this book, I felt that Fusco's point was for the reader's to see how women could embrace their sexuality and be the dominant figure in the situation, since women could not embrace their sexuality many years ago, but the problem with this situation is that it feeds into the cliche that women use what they have (their bodies) to get what they want. It makes it seem that women are only sexual beings and they're not capable of anything else except for the flaunting of their bodies.
This book seems to display some discrimination towards women and I did not particularly care for it to much, because it is degrading to women and as well as the people that were getting interrogated.
When I put myself into the shoes of those that were interrogated, there is no way that someone could intimidate or make me feel guilty by flaunting their bodies in front of me.
Overall, I felt that this book displayed women in a negative light and it shows inequality in our society.

3 comments:

  1. Quine, it's interesting how you say you wouldn't be intimidated or feel guilty if this were to happen to you, can it be that males, although very religious, are more sexual? or is it just a stereotype? I tried to think of myself in their situations and I personally would be intimidated, scared I guess to know this man is being so sexual towards me. You made me think, why don't men use this tactic when interrogating women? It would be fascinating to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book does portray women in a negative light but if this act is indeed taking place, it needs to have light shed on it regardless of the associated negativity.I do agree that the act of sexual interrogation degrades women in the sense that they being used in a stereotypical fashion. We live in a society that strives on inequality so this tactic isn't anything out of the norm.I cant help but question the level of effectiveness these sexual tactics had.

    ReplyDelete